Location: Nigeria/Cameroon/Senegal Contract: 18-month CDD (renewable subject to funding)
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
Purpose of the NTD Regional Technical Manager Role
Currently, our drive to eliminate onchocerciasis is hampered by weak capacity to conduct entomological surveys as well as limitations of laboratories in endemic countries to provide diagnostic support on collected specimens. We are therefore actively seeking to employ a technical advisor to support national NTD programs in building NTD laboratory capacity, specifically focusing on onchocerciasis and, to a lesser extent, filariasis. lymphatic and other vector-borne NTDs. The incumbent will provide technical advice and assistance that will develop regional and global strategies, networks and collaborations to build laboratory NTD diagnostic capacity (survey methods, training, data collection and analysis) in the endemic countries.
About the NTD Regional Technical Manager Job
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Lead the development of strategies, training modules and knowledge transfer initiatives to increase and strengthen onchocerciasis diagnostic capacity in endemic countries and programs.
- Develop standardized training and refresher modules for the use of existing Ov16 and black fly PCR protocols, building on existing best practices and in-country laboratory expertise
- Establishment of quality assurance protocols to cover common controls and test parameters, blind re-testing of randomly selected samples on ELISA and O-150 PCR within and between laboratories, calibration of the test in each laboratory by running a standardized calibration panel
- Champion accreditations in all laboratories to meet national standards, eg SLIMTA, SLIPTA and GLP.
- Ensure that collaborating laboratories complete the laboratory assessment tool and maintain a record of its use
- Coordinate and align technical advice and activities in countries where Sightsavers is not the sole source of funding for onchocerciasis laboratory strengthening activities
- Support the dissemination and application of best practices for onchocerciasis diagnostic capacity building, in line with global standards and emerging mHealth systems, in close collaboration with Sightsavers Director for Digital Health and Innovation
- Support in the development of new funding proposals for onchocerciasis diagnostics implementation or research, ensuring that proposals are technically sound, deliverable and in line with WHO guidance and vision and to Sightsavers strategic priorities
NTD Regional Technical Manager Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Proven work experience in a similar role at the regional level within international development
- Laboratory experience working on Onchocerciasis diagnosis, especially Ov16 serological methods and O-150 molecular methods
- Advanced degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline such as biology, molecular biology, biotechnology or similar
- Excellent written and spoken English
- First-class communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organization
- Experience designing and delivering training to laboratory staff
- Availability to travel for field visits, attend meetings, workshops and conferences
- Strong management and stakeholder engagement
- Ability to work independently escalating risks and issues to the wider team and senior members
- Understanding of research governance and ethical principles, particularly as they relate to research with vulnerable people
- Knowledge of NTDs and health systems
- Experience with GLP, SLIMTA or SLIPTA
The Regional Technical Manager is a very varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of required job duties or skills. Please consult the job description for all the details.
Interviews will likely take place virtually weekdays starting November 14, 2022. This will be a one-step interview process.
How to register
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a confident leader in disability. Therefore, qualified individuals living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
To apply and for more details on the role, please go to our website and click on the Apply here icon.
Sightsavers is an employer that tolerates no form of harassment and has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. All potential applicants will be subject to rigorous background checks and vetting.