Demopolis School Board hears salary scale and contract request
Posted at 3:10 p.m. on Friday, September 30, 2022
On September 19, the Demopolis School Board had a somewhat lighthearted agenda that included public comment, approval of action and consent items, and a briefing report from Superintendent Tony Willis.
Under public comment, Major Walker appeared before council to discuss and share comments regarding bus driver pay scales and a schedule change for himself. Walker said the current pay for bus drivers is $12 an hour and he asked the council to consider giving them a raise. Walker’s second demand was for the board to remove the 6-hour flexible clause from his contract.
The council agreed to consider Walker’s request and said they would return with him at a later date.
Under the briefing items, Willis reported that the school system has received approval from the fire chief to complete the phases of fire alarm system upgrades as needed. Roofing work has started at the high school gymnasium/theater and is expected to last approximately one week to 10 days. Locks also arrived for rekeying at the high school and were installed on September 24 and 25.
The USJ entry project offer went to Bob Summerville (local) and he plans to work weekends and will start on the project soon. Designs for the added parking lot and driveway to Maria at the WES Multipurpose Building have been approved. The school system is waiting for bidders’ prices.
Board Approved Items:
- Board member Bobby Armstead has been nominated and approved as a delegate to the AASB’s annual conference in Birmingham, AL on December 1, 2022.
- Approved DHS Department of Biology for field visit to Dauphin Island Sea Lab, November 1-2 in Dauphin Island, AL
- DHS Auditorium Use Request Approved by Black Belt Dream Center, October 12, 2022 (5:00-10:00 p.m.)
- Employment: David Vann as Industrial Maintenance Instructor, effective 9/20/22 (pending satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Angela Wyatt as Hall Clerk dining, 9/20/22 (pending receipt of satisfactory documentation and Board approval)
- Replacements: Burnia Crispin with a sub, Keisha Cox with a sub, Darren Williams with a sub
- Miscellaneous: Robin Maroney as intervention teacher for this school year